Part 1: Cleansing
1. Begin your prayer by praising God, offering thanksgiving to Him by naming specific blessings you have received, especially during the last 24 hours.
- Note: It is important to always begin your prayer by praising God for who He is and the blessings that He has showered upon you in the last 24 hours or throughout your life. Be specific to naming even the smallest blessing He has bestowed upon you and your family. This will connect you with His love for you. When you feel depressed and discouraged, keep thanking and praising Him, focusing on His love until you come into the light, coming into the light means that you sense His love and acceptance of you personally. Only then are you prepared to go to the next step.
- Claim these promises: Psalms 34:1-3, Psalms 103:1-3, Psalms 104, Psalms 105:1-5, Psalms 106:1 and Psalms 107:1 (Use other scripture texts that you are impressed to claim.)
2. Ask our Heavenly Father to reveal any sin, hurtful memories, negative sinful behavior, thoughts, feelings, motives, resentment and bitterness that you may be harboring in your heart. Wait quietly before Him allowing Him to speak to your heart.
- Note: Ask Him to reveal the root of sins (where this sin first took hold of you). Seek the Lord, asking Him to reveal the lies and deceptions of the enemy that you believed, causing you to go down the wrong pathway in the first place.
- Claim these promises: Daniel 2:22, Psalm 139:23-24, Psalms 26:2, Psalms 27:8 and Psalms 44:21 (Use other scripture texts that you are impressed to claim.)
3. Once He has revealed your sin or painful emotions, confess these by claiming His blood to cover the sin and heal your painful emotions.
- Claim these promises for Steps 3-6: 1John 1:9, Psalms 32:5, and Romans 10:10
(Use other scripture texts that you are impressed to claim.)
4. Ask Jesus to cleanse your memories of the sin or painful emotions.
- Note: You have most likely fallen into a particular sin or wrong pattern of thinking and feeling repeatedly, and your brain has stored these memories. These must be blotted out by Jesus.
5. Ask Jesus to cleanse you to the 3rd and 4th generation where the tendency to this sin may have been passed on through your lineage.
- Note: Tendencies to sin are passed on to you from the generations that have gone before you. Demons take advantage of these sinful tendencies to gain access to your mind. If you give in to the demons, they then gain rights to continue to have access to tempt you in those areas. Jesus will bring you to the point where there is nothing in you that responds to the overtures of the enemy.
6. Ask Jesus to cleanse you from sin and remove the painful emotions from your amygdala.
- Note: The amygdala is the area of your brain where every emotion that you have ever experienced from the moment of conception is stored.
7. Ask Jesus to cleanse your record from the sin and the memory of it. (Use scripture texts that you are impressed to claim).
8. Ask to be covered by the perfection of Christ’s life. You may find Scriptures that reveal the way He acted and felt in a similar situation. (Use scripture texts that you are impressed to claim).
9. Ask Jesus to blot out the sin and put it upon the head of the scapegoat (Satan). (Use scripture texts that you are impressed to claim).
10. At this point in your prayer, it is important for you to ask Jesus to cast out every demon that is responsible for leading you into the sin you have confessed and renounced. (Use scripture texts that you are impressed to claim).
Part II: Re-creation and Restoration
1. Ask Jesus to re-create you according to the original plan that He has written in His books for you.
- Claim these promises regarding God’s plan for you and your life: Psalms 23:3, Psalms 139:16, Psalms 139:23-24 and Jeremiah 29:11. Use other scripture texts that you are impressed to claim.
2. Ask Jesus to seal you into His truth and write His law upon your heart, claiming specific promises that address your sin or painful emotions (including memories, feeling and thoughts).
- Claim these promises: Hebrews 8:10-11, Ephesians 1:4, Titus 2:14 and 1Peter 2:9. Use other scripture texts that you are impressed to claim.
3. Ask Jesus to give you the fullness of the Holy Spirit, the “Latter Rain”.
- Claim these promises: John 14:26, Ephesians 1:13, 1 Thessalonians 4:8, Acts 2:4 and Luke 11:13. Use other scripture texts that you are impressed to claim.
4. Ask Jesus to remind you of His promises when tempted.
- Claim these promises: Isaiah 30:21, John 10:16 and Ezekiel 37:23. Use other scripture texts that you are impressed to claim.
The original Cleansing Prayer is provided in a beautiful study guide produced by Mountain Refuge Ministries. TORSOE has slightly modified it for our purposes. Feel free to contact us if you would like an original study guide.